Thursday, July 21, 2011

Twitter is My Crack!



I've become Twitter obsessed. Seriously, I haven't been able to pull myself away from my computer today. How did this happen?  I used to be so lost when it came to social networking.  When I first got an email address in college I had no clue what to do.  I never used it.  Mainly because I didn't have a computer other than the ones in the college labs.  Then instant messaging came out and I used that a little bit but only to chat with my mom after I got married.  After that it was MySpace.  I had three friends.  The only message I received was from an ex who wanted to apologize for how we split up.  This was after 9 years of being broken up and I was already married with three children when I got the message.  In 2008 my friend tells me I should get on Facebook. I created an account and instantly became hooked on that.  But with Facebook I keep up with friends and family.  We post pictures and give updates on our daily lives.

Now I have Twitter.  Twitter is the crack of social networking.  It can be dirty and you keep coming back for more.  I have "met" interesting folks on Twitter.  A lot of fellow bloggers sharing throughout the day.  Others are Echelon (fan family of 30 Seconds to Mars) which it is really cool to tweet with them.  I get excited when I get online and I have new followers. How special do I feel?  And why do I need that to feel special?  I'm telling you... CRACK!!! 

The thing about twitter is you never know who is going to be on or what will be said.  Its so mysterious.  When I tweet with Echelon I love how supportive we are of the band and we all get excited.  We are from all over the world too! Last night 30 Seconds to Mars had their unplugged concert aired on MTV.com.  Echelon all over the world were watching it (or trying to at least).  And while it was airing we were tweeting.  It was kind of moving.

I also love that I can tweet the band and they may reply.  Let me share here that I have been tweeted back by Jared Leto (my world literally stopped) and Tomo Milicevic (he gave me advice on my anniversary). I just need a reply from Shannon Leto and I will have the trifecta. It bridges a gap between fan and celebrity.

With Twitter I can sort of keep in touch with my family but we mainly use Facebook for that.  Twitter is mainly for keeping in touch with people I don't know.  How wacky did that just sound?  At times I am a lurker.  I feel very voyeuristic when I am on Twitter sometimes. Sometimes its like a car accident you have to see what happens next. 

If I don't have laptop with me I can still get some tweets on my phone.  I have a crappy phone right now (will get an iPhone once I get a nursing job).  But I have my twitter account set up so that I can receive certain people's tweets.  Any of my family comes straight to my phone.  And of course Jared Leto's. I now put my phone on silent at night because Jared has been known to answer fan tweets until the wee hours of the morning.  Which is fabulous that he reaches out to fans.  Not so fabulous when your phone goes off every 2 minutes. Its quite funny!  My husband now asks what Jared has to say when my phone beeps with a text message. He has learned to accept it. I do have the greatest husband in the world.

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting that you have a problem.  Right?  Well... I.... its nothing really... I .. just ... like to see what is going on.  I can quit whenever I want... You can't make me.... What ... what are you doing?  Get away from my Twitter...  what if Jared has something that I really must know?  Okay... I am calming down.  I will set a limit.  I will only use Twitter at certain times of the day and the house must be in order (false promise right there).  Starting tomorrow!!!!

I wonder, is there a 12 step program out there?


Oh and I almost forgot.  You can follow me on Twitter at @DDDOhMy   Tweet you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment