Thursday, January 14, 2010

My husband...

Oh what to say about my husband? At the moment he is driving me crazy. I probably shouldn't be writing right now about him. But since he was picking on me I am allowed to write whatever I want.

My husband and I met about 12 years ago at a summer camp. It was not love at first sight. He was dressed up as backwoods hobo with his teeth blacked out for our staff auction. He was crazy. Still is.

That summer I worked in the office. It was air conditioned so I had lots of visitors. He would come in constantly singing some silly song. Then when he would leave I would be singing the song. That is how it started. In all honesty he has been annoying before we were even dating.

Once we were "dating" (as if one can date while at a summer camp)we fell in love. I knew in my heart that he was the one. That November we moved in together and were engaged. The following June we were married. In July we were pregnant. We move fast, I know! Then in April of 2000 we welcomed our first child, a daughter.

Almost eleven years later we are still happily married. I know compared to other marriages it really isn't that long. But when you look around and couples are splitting up and getting divorced, eleven years seems like something to celebrate.

We have had our ups and downs. We have moved 4 times since we were married. Our jobs have changed. Our finances have changed. But our love has stayed the same.

He is my best friend. No one makes me laugh like he can. Even when I am extremely mad, he makes me laugh. Which makes me madder because its not fair. He will sit with me through scary movies. I love scary movies. But after the movie I am a pain in the rear end because I am so jumpy. He puts up with it.

My husband is my rock. When my mother passed away unexpectedly he was there to hold me up. We had two very young children when she passed. My concern was to take care of them, my dad and my sisters. My husband took care of me. Even to this day when I unexpectedly get torn up about the loss of my mother, he will hold me close and tell me everything is alright.

He supports me. He may not show it all the time but he knows that I want to reach certain goals in my life. Going to school has put a bit of a hardship on my family. It costs money. But in the long run it will help us more financially and I will be happy with a career that I love. He gets that.

My husband accuses me of false advertisement. When we lived at the camp I would do laundry. I was little Miss Suzie Homemaker. He accuses me of fraud now. I tell him that a girl has to do what a girl has to do to get her man. Plus, he did the same. Buying roses and candy. I can't tell you when the last time was that I got roses. He tells me he was just trying to get lucky. Well he did. You can't get any luckier with a catch like me!!

Even now as I sit at the kitchen table writing this he is picking on me. He knows I love to write. I was trying to decide what I wanted to share this evening. Since he was bugging me I decided to share about him.

I wish that every woman could be blessed with a husband like mine. I know some of you that know him might not see. But that's ok, because I do. And that is all that matters. Plus he is a great cook. I think I will keep him. At least for another eleven years!

No comments:

Post a Comment