Sunday, June 26, 2011

Coupon Newbie- My $30 Goal

Let me first admit that I am not the greatest with math.  So when it comes to coupons I am a bit slow with  figuring all this stuff out.  With all the new tv shows on extreme couponing and classes popping here and there, I have decided I want to give it all a try.  If anything I save a few dollars, right? 

My sister, Sarah, has a knack for saving money with coupons.  She gets really excited about what is in the paper and how she can use it.  When I use coupons I get this sense of "Take that you money grabbing store. I just saved 50 cents!"  Yes, I get excited too when I use them too. 

Before             After


The thing I don't get is how do you figure it all out.  Who has the best deal, then how to match it other stores and then use the coupons at the perfect time.  It kind of gives me a headache. 

I would love to use coupons more often.  I recently have made my husband start buying the Sunday newspaper but when I look at the coupons, I do not see anything that my family uses.  Then I just end up recycling it all.  Its a bit discouraging.  But I am going to give it a month and see how I do. 

And since it is Sunday the first thing I am going to do is buy a newspaper.  My goal is to see if I can save at least thirty dollars.  Remember I, up to now, use maybe one or two coupons once in a blue moon to save 50 cents.  So thirty smackers will be a big deal to me.

If you have any coupon tips for me, please share them.  I could use all the help I can get!




The youtube video above is great.  Take a few minutes to check it out.  To me it makes couponing seem managable.  Good luck and Happy Money Saving.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great goal! I was amazed the other day when I went into the grocery store (having left all my coupons at home, of course) and found coupons attached to items all over the store. I ended up with $5 worth of coupons! I'm over from Let's Get Social Sunday, and it's nice to meet you. I'm a new follower.
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for following! I'm going to do the best I can to reach my goal. Congrats on save $5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just stopped by from the Monday Blog hop at Frugality is Free! I would love it if you stopped by my site:
    Saving Myself Silly

    (I hope I did that link right). I have a lot of readers who are new to couponing, and I'm preparing a how to get started series that will post while I'm out of town next week. I'd love it if you followed me and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best tips I could give to you is to organize your coupons. I went to Five Below and got a pack of 30 baseball card holders for $5. (I'm going back sometime this week because I need more, lol) Then I got a binder at Walmart and I have my coupons organized into different categories. Then when you go through the ads, you try to match up the store sales with the coupons you have. I found that ever since I went through all my coupons, I subconsciously memorized what I have, so when I go through the ads I'm always like "I have a coupon for that! I have a coupon for that, too!!" And I just write down on paper everything I'm going to get and how much it will cost. Check out my post about my first shopping trip as an extreme couponer http://nicolesrandomthings.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-cvs-and-weis-trip.html
    I hope that helps!! Good luck couponing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments and advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower from the Friday blog hop. I list baby product & GC giveaways on my blog.

    Please follow back.
    http://babygiveawaysgalore.blogspot.com/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came from the Friday Blog Hop! I just wanted to encourage you to look online for coupons, too!! Sometimes you can find more items. I love saving $ with coupons and I have gotten OUT of it with my 4th baby's arrival. But I"m getting back into it to save $:)

    ReplyDelete