Sunday, July 25, 2010

How trusting are you?

I have never been the type of girl who won't leave the house without a full makeover. You may only catch me wearing makeup for special events. Rarely do I wear it.I am also not big on all the products our beauty industry has. I use a face wash, moisturizer with SPF, shampoo/conditioner, hair paste and spray, body lotions and some make up. That is pretty much it. Basic, I know.

I had never given any thought to what was in these products.  Surely, they are safe because they are on the shelves of the store.  Not exactly.  I was once told that if you can't pronounce an ingredient in a food product then you shouldn't eat it.  (a rule that I am not very good about following)  I would think this rule would apply to cosmetics as well.  Can you pronounce the majority of the ingredients found in your bathroom products?  I can't. Do you know what they are or what they do?  Nope, me either.

As I have been going green with my family, I have been trying to get rid of some of the chemicals in our house. Mainly these are household cleaners but I am thinking about going through our beauty products as well.

Watch this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfq000AF1i8

Now of course we should do our own research to make sure that what we put onto and into our bodies is actually safe.

What makes me really wonder is what would our bodies look like compared to people who lived in the 1800s.  Before t.v and magazines that told society what beauty was suppose to be.  Who would have the most toxins in their bodies?

Now you may say that a lot has changed since then.  We live longer because we know more about germs and all that stuff.  People showered once a week.  Ya, I get that but do we need all these chemicals to be clean.  Probably not. How about all the chemicals that go into the anti-aging creams?  That stuff can't be healthy.  What is wrong with growing old? 

So my goal is to check out the products I currently have and find out what is safe.  You can go to Skin Deep to learn about  products and the ingredients they contain.  I encourage you to do the same. 

I am pretty trusting when it comes to what  purchase.  I want to believe it is safe. But now I am going to make sure that what comes into my house is safe for my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment