Thursday, March 31, 2011

Earth Day is coming!

Earth Day is April 22nd!  Are you ready?  I am challenging everyone to do something good for Mother Earth this year.  Every little step matters when getting to our destination.  We are a throw away society.  Pretty much everything we use is disposable.  Even our electronics don't last as long as they used to.  How many cell phones or computers have you gone through in the last ten years?  TV?  When something newer and better comes out (and they always do) we chuck the "old" one and get the new.  Find somewhere local that recycles electronics.   Start using reusable grocery bags. I must admit that I feel pretty good about myself when I put my bags on the check out counter.  The cashier might not love it though but oh well.  On a big shopping day I can fill 8-10 normal size cloth shopping bags.  If I use plastic it adds up to about 20.  Yikes.  Cloth bags save you time, energy and the environment.  There are a ton of cute ones out there too.

Find out if your town or city has a recycling center.  We have one in my town but hardly anyone knows about it.  I have made it my mission to share this with as many people as I know.  Recycling is easy.  Get a box or a bin and put your recyclables in it.  Then if you are lucky enough you can put your bin on your curb and it is picked up.  If you can't do that, like myself, then pick a day of the week or every other week to drop it off at your recycling center. 

Eat less meat.  If you read my last post you know that I have decided to go vegan.  This is my choice not my family's so I still cook meat for them.  I do plan to have 2-3 meatless dinners a week.  Why meatless?  It takes 2500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef.  Just one pound.  That is a ton of water.  Just try to imagine how many cows there are in our country.  Most are used for the fast food industry.  The less meat we eat, the lower our needs are for all those cows, the more water there is.  Not to mention the safety of our water sources.  All the cattle have to poop.  And yep, since they are animals they poop on the ground.  Where does that poop go?  You got it.  When it rains it runs off and will run off into our streams, rivers, lakes and oceans.  I encourage you to watch Food, Inc.  Its an incredible documentary that will open your eyes to what you put into your mouth. 

Walk or ride a bike.  Use less gas by using your own energy to get to where you are going.  Gas prices are insane.  Why?  Because they is less of it and a huge demand for it.  So lets stop demanding it and find an alternative way to be mobile.  Take public transportation. 

These are just a few ways to celebrate Earth Day.  Get your family involved.  Think of what the Earth was like when you were little.  Its not the same now is it?  Think of what it will be like when your children are your age.  Hmmm.... Scary isn't it?  I am petrified of what the future holds for this planet.  We are the answer.  We are the solution.

Make every day Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment